For our "neighbor gifts" for Christmas this year I decided to go homemade. These are a classic ginger cookie recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. Interested?

GIANT GINGER COOKIES (though mine weren't giant)
4 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
4 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. molasses
3/4 c. sugar
1. In a medium bowl stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Add the 2 cups sugar. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and molasses until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture.
2. Shape dough into 2-inch balls using a 1/2-cup measure or scoop. Roll balls in the 3/4 cup sugar. Place 2 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake in a 350 degree over for 11 to 13 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned and tops are puffed (do not overbake). Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool (I did mine on paper towels...I think they stay softer.)
Pretty awesome, eh? I also did homemade hot chocolate. The recipe started from allrecipes.com...see below :)
1-1/2 C Hershey's Cocoa Powder (next time I will use a little less)
3 C Powdered Sugar
5 C Powdered Milk (blend until fine in blender or food processor)
1 C Powdered Creamer (I used french vanilla flavored...)
I have also REALLY gotten into making wreaths. Randy hates them. I think he's proud that I have the talent to put them together...he just hates having so many. I'll admit, the obsession is getting a little out of hand!
This first one is super simple to make. It's a wire hanger shaped into a circle with ornament strung on. Eeeeasy. Next time I will undo the balls from the hanging piece and hot glue them back together. Several of them fell off thanks to my lack of preparation (and overexcitment to just finish it!). Thanks to my friend Ashley for teaching me to make the bow :)

Here's another wreath I made. I will not make another one for a LONG time. My fingers were sure beat up afterwards. I gathered the pinecones from a nearby park and basically wired them onto a wire frame. It took forever and was dirty but looked dang good when I finished. Some pinecones were wobbly, so they got a bead of hot glue to hold them steady. Then just a little colorful decoration for the season. Very fun. Martha Stewart has the idea on her website.





And, last of all, my chalkboard. Just finished it today. I had this big bare wall in our kitchen that needed some TLC...so I decided on a chalkboard. There are several blogs which give instructions but I basically bought a big, ugly piece of framed art at D.I., spray painted it white, had a piece of sheet metal cut to size (I wanted it magnetic), primed the sheet metal, painted the sheet metal with chalkboard spray paint (get it at Home Depot), liquid nail-ed down the metal to the awesome artwork, and VOILA! A SUPER CUTE magnetic chalkboard! This would cost me an arm and a leg at a boutique. Since I like my arms and legs...I made it on my own...for under probably $25. Cheaper if you already have the paint (or ugly artwork/frame) hanging around! I know...Martha would be proud!




Making crafts like these is my creative outlet. Hopefully you too can make something that makes you feel proud and makes your home that much more enjoyable! One of these days I'll get around to Christmas...Jac's visit to Utah...Mom's wedding...
Until then!







SOOOO CUTE!!! Glad I found your blog!!
ReplyDelete